Skip to main content

week 8 A3- lesson plan





Objective: helping my students read basic cvc words with O, fluently

They must first know and understand the short o sound (which they learned in kindergarten, so we are just reviewing it)

We will be focusing on word recognition and fluency.

This is my students first term of first grade. We will be reviewing and mastering the short O sound and decoding that sound in many cvc words. We will do so through reading the book called I can hop. (see attached document of book) Since my students are young and love to hop around, this story will perk up their interest, from seeing the rabbit hop all over the place.

I applied the common core standards, in kindergarten they learned the basic cvc words and they should be reading text with purpose and understanding. In first grade they will be learning how to read with purpose and understanding on their grade level in addition to reading orally accurately and with expressions. By having my students read this book a few times, I am making sure that they mastered the short o sound and can read the story with expression and with speed.

I will also have my students predict what will happen in the story and answer questions after they read.

Here is a lesson plan, on how I plan for my students to practice and become fluent in the short O sound:



1.       Text Box: __o__    __o__
__o__     __o__
We will begin with reviewing the short O sound in many cvc words. I will give each of my students a picture that look like this (see picture), and I will tell the to put a M before the O and a P after, we then will read the word together. We will continue to do this until I see that all of my students know the short o sound very well.







2.       I will put extra emphasize on the phonograms ot and op, because those are the ones that the story focuses on a lot.

3.       After that I will hand out a copy of the story “I can hop” to each student. But before we begin we will discuss some words they may not know- the new high frequency words like me, of, too and the ones that they know already (frequency words) like can, cannot, I, a on, see….

4.       I will also review with them plural s at the end of a word.

5.       Then I will tell my students to look at the cover of the book and I will ask them to predict what they think might happen in the story from the picture on the cover, this will make my students interest perk up and they will want to know what will happen in the story.

6.       Before my students will read the story by themselves, I will demonstrate how they should read the book. As I read my students will follow along with the words that I am up to, I will show my students what words should be in the same phrases as well as the tone they should read in, at each phase. And most importantly, the more my students see and read the words, the more fluent they will become with reading these types of words.

7.       As I read, I will point out some key parts and ask questions, so they will know what they are looking for when they read the book themselves. I will begin with reading the title and showing them the author. As I read the pages below I will ask my students the following questions and my students should do/ say what it says in the in the last column.

Page 3
Do you see the dots?
They will look at the dots and point to them.
Page 4
Where can the rabbit hop?
Of a mop
Page 5
What is the rabbit doing now?
Hoping on the dot with a mop
Page 6
Do you think he can hop on a pot?
No, it’s too dangerous
Page 7
We see that the rabbit did not hop on the pot, what is the reason he did not?
Because it’s too hot
Page 8
Who can the rabbit hop on? Is that nice?
Pop
No

8.       After I am done reading the story I will have them read the book with partners, as they are reading I will rotate around the classroom and listen to them read.

9.       Once they are done, I will hand out a sheet that looks like (see sheet) and they will have to answer the questions based on the book- most of the questions will be based off the key points I emphasized earlier.

10.   As my students are doing the questions, I will call up one student at a time to come read the story to me. This will allow me to see if all of my student are able to read words with a short O sound fluently.

This story is appropriate for all my different types of students, because before I began reading I explained it and pre-read it for them. I also taught my students how to look at the pictures for clues if they get stuck on a word, and I also reviewed any words that I thought they might have a hard time with.

                For the students it needs a lot of support I was able to walk around during partners to help them read, in addition, aa class answer the questions I was able to clarify anything they had a hard time with.


                Something that I will like to implement into my classroom, is to limit distractions, this will help children be able to concentrate on the task at hand a whole lot better. (as spoken about on teachers hub.com)



book:






question sheet:  
Name:____________________________
1.       What did the rabbit like to do?
________________________________________________________________________
2.       Where did the rabbit hop?
_______________________________________________________________________
3.       Why can’t the rabbit hop on the pot?
_____________________________________________________________________
4.       Is it nice for the rabbit to hop on pop?
______________________________________________________________________
Text Box: Draw a picture about the book:

Comments

  1. What a cute exciting book to get children interested and curious which is the best way to learn and great for us educators to assess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please use the lesson plan format provided in course documents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

week 14 A2

RTI changed the emphasis for the identification process, from giving help the student only once they fell behind to providing support and intervention for struggling students early on, as soon as a a2. The old method there were some problems with: 1.      Waiting for the student to fail before giving the student additional help. 2.      Even if there is no major discrepancy between their IQ and knowledge the student still needs the same intervention instruction. 3.      Didn’t take into consideration the other possible factors that can be making the child not learn how to read. In RTI they measure learners’ performances when given intervention. They do not measure based on learning disabilities rather the student response to interventions. The student’s goals are not measured based on their IQ rather based on the level of the other students on their grade level. The RTI Process: 1.    ...

week 3 assignment 2

As teachers, we are constantly assessing our students to make sure that they are on the level they should be, the level determined by the common core standards put together by P12. After reading and familiarizing myself with the common core standards of a fourth grader, I understand what assignments are needed to properly assess my students to know if they are on the same level as their grade-mates nationwide.   In the third ELA lesson starter, the teacher wanted to develop, implement and help her students communicate new ideas to others through original writing. She told her students to create a beginning to a story and record it on a podcast. She then gave the story to other students and had them create an end to that story. By giving her students this assignment, she was able to test for two of the common core standards. She tested if they can write narratives clearly, with detail and in clear sequence, and if they can use technology with support from adults. This assi...

week 4 A1

                                                                                                                                                                      ...